1. To give substance or form to
2. To establish with credible proof or evidence
3. To strengthen or solidify somothing
A part of substantiate sounds like the word ‘substance’ and this is the best way to remember the meaning of substantiate as it becomes easy to relate to, that is adding substance to something.
1. He was warned by his attorney that without any proof to substantiate his case it would be very difficult to get a favorable judgment from court.
2. It is time you substantiated on all the promises you made.
3. The President’s trip will substantiate good relations with their country.