1. To interpret from a rational standpoint.
2. To devise self-satisfying but incorrect reasons.
3. To remove unreasonable elements from.
Rationalize sounds like ‘ration + analyze’. When someone analyzes their ration needs they remove unreasonable items from it to cut down on their costs which can be related pretty easily to the word ‘rationalize’ to remember its meaning.
1. She tried to rationalize her grandson’s strange behavior by blaming it on the boy’s father.
2. Management is thinking of ways to rationalize our system of production.
3. He couldn’t rationalize buying such an expensive car.