1. A strong fear, dislike, or aversion.
2. A morbid, unexplained terror of something.
The easiest way to remember the meaning of the word ‘Phobia’ is to relate it to all of its other forms like hydrophobia, claustrophobia, arachnophobia etc. since all these words are used to portray a fear of something; it is easy to grasp the meaning of phobia, which is ‘fear’.
1. Failure phobias are generally caused by some influences of unsuccessful efforts that have resulted from prior situations.
2. His fear of heights eventually developed into a phobia.
3. The best way to get over any kind of phobia is to face it rather than to run away from it.