1. A command or authorization to act in a particular way on a public issue given by the electorate to its representative
2. A command from a superior court or official to a lower one.
3. An authoritative order or command.
4. A commission given to a nation to administer the government and affairs of a former Turkish territory or German colony.
What do people do when they vote in an election? They give their vote in favor of a party who they find more suitable or compelling. In other words electorates give a mandate to a person/party.
Or for that matter, if the government gives schools a mandate to test more, then the schools had better give more tests.
1. Mandate from the electorate.
2. The president had a clear mandate to end the war.
3. The politician losing an election has to accept the people’s mandate.
4. That is the democratic mandate of several second chambers in Europe.