1. Defamation by written or printed words
2. Uttering or publishing slanderous, treasonable, or obscene statements about someone
The word libel sounds close to ‘label’. We always tend to label people by their shortcomings, thus libel means a defamatory statement or false impression.
1. The defeated candidate tried to libel his opponents after the election.
2. The angry statements in the newspaper appeared almost to be statements of libel.
3. Foreign libel lawsuits are undermining this informational exchange.