1. (Adj) not effectual; without satisfactory or decisive effect
2. (Adj) unavailing; futile
3. (Adj) powerless; impotent
If you are a coach with a losing team that doesn’t listen to you, don’t be surprised if you are called ineffectual. It means too weak to produce the desired effect.
Also when a teacher is unable to make the students understand what she is teaching that is ineffectual.
1. An ineffectual remedy.
2. His efforts to sell the house were ineffectual.
3. The well-meaning but ineffectual jobs programs of the past.
4. His attempts to keep order in the classroom were quite ineffectual.