1. One who attacks and seeks to overthrow traditional or popular ideas or institutions.
2. A breaker or destroyer of images; especially, those set up for religious veneration.
The word Iconoclast can be split into ‘icono + clast’. ‘Icono’ refers to images and ‘clast’ sounds like clash therefore the word means someone whose ideas clash with the present images or ideas.
1. Notorious as an iconoclast, that music critic isn’t afraid to go after sacred cows.
2. They are known as the original iconoclasts who were instrumental in destroying countless works of art.
3. She’s an iconoclast who will have nothing to do with organized religions.